Tuesday, April 21, 2009

More Media Portrayal

A couple of weekends ago I watched what I guess you can call a marathon of "For the Love of Ray J" I thought of all the reality dating shows that come on. "Flavor of Love", "Everybody loves New York", "The Bachelor", and the list goes on and on. If shows like this aren't examples of polyamory then I don't know what is. One man (or woman) who gets to live with and date a large group of women (or men) for months. They all claim to fall in love at one point or another. But eventually there are only two. Usually one man and one woman. Sometimes two women. But never two men.

My thinking is that since their is no public outcry, viewers acceptance of these dating shows are dependent on the end result being monogamy.

If the end result wasn't monogamy, for instance, if a man decided he was going to take two women or a woman decided she was going to take a man and a woman, I believe their would be some very upset Americans.

No comments:

Post a Comment